You MUST have a physical to participate and tryout.
Monday, July 15: 7-8:30 p.m., Hillandale Park (first parking lot on right)
Wednesday, July 17: 7-8:30 a.m., EMU (baseball field parking lot)
Friday, July 19: 7-8:30 p.m., Wilbur Pence Middle School (Dayton)
Monday, July 22: 7-8:30 p.m., Hillandale Park (first parking lot on right)
Wednesday, July 24: 7:8:30 a.m., EMU (baseball field parking lot)
Wednesday, July 31: 7-8:30 a.m., EMU (baseball field parking lot)
Friday, Aug. 2: 7:8:30 p.m., Wilbur Pence Middle School (Dayton)
Monday, Aug. 5: 7-9 p.m., Hillandale Park (first day of mandatory practice)
B. WHY SO EARLY? WHAT DO I BRING? WHAT DO I DO IF MY STOMACH HURTS BEFORE PRACTICE? PLEASE READ
1. Because of thunderstorms and heat issues, the early morning is the best time to practice. We'll most likely do this for just two weeks and then the week before school starts, move to at least some evening practices so that we can adjust to running in the afternoon heat. I realize this time won't suit everyone and won't please everyone, and not everyone will be able to attend. Please let me know if you can't attend and I will send you a workout.
2. Also, the locations are not convenient for everyone. Harrisonburg is frankly a difficult place to be a distance runner in. Running in Dayton provides several options for our various groups of athletes.
3. Please get up in time to eat something, a banana or a half of bagel, before you arrive. Bring plenty of water.
4. If you are late, we will already be running and you will not be able to find us, so just stay home and run from your house.
5. If you have any physical issues, do not come to practice. I will trust that you are using good judgment and being your body's best coach that day. It is much better for everyone if you stay home and be responsible for yourself, rather than putting yourself, your teammates and your coach in a difficult position of taking care of you.
6. Summer practices consist of a short warm-up and then assignment of loops to run, based on your fitness. Emphasis is on time on your feet or general mileage at a comfortable pace. If athletes don't know the loop, I provide directions on a piece of paper carried by a leader who is in charge of keeping everyone together (this is why coming to practice when you are tired or sick is bad idea, see #5). When we return, we stretch. Pretty simple.
7. I am required to supervise all athletes until they are picked up from practice (or depart under their own steam, by bike, car or on foot). Please be prompt in your pick-up.
8. I welcome any parents who want to run with or ride a bike alongside a group of runners.
C. Safety meeting: A parent is required to attend one of four Safety Meetings. Date and time of Safety Meeting it TBD.
D. No physical, no practice.
E. Parent Help This Season. Some of you have generously offered to help with team meals and a few other tasks that I am asking for help with this season. This week is a busy one. I'll be in touch soon.